This particular play-dough recipe I use when we've had a stressful morning and just need a break from learning and a time to just be present. By giving them something they enjoy doing gives them a chance to be quiet without much effort and the addition of the essential oils helps add a soothing layer. Plus it smells so great!!
Here's a little video we put together on how to make our version of calm-down, play-dough
Work's Every Time Play-dough
What you need
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Food color of choice
1. Combine 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of salt and 2 teaspoons cream of tartar in a large saucepan.
2. Gradually stir in 1 cup water mixed with 2 tablespoons oil and approx 1 teaspoon food coloring of your choice.
3. Cook over medium to high heat, stirring constantly until a ball forms.
4. Remove from heat, cool and knead until smooth on wax paper
5. Divide into balls and add a drop or two of essential oils per ball and kneed well.
Adding your favourite essential oil - we generally choose Young Living essential oil as their Seed to Seal Promise the best in the industry - lavender as it's very calming and soothing - there's a reason why we use it alot at bedtime. Stress-away is another fantastic calming, stress relieving oil with scents of lemon and vanilla. Definitely, my favourite. Lemon on the other hand while refreshing can be invigorating so it's good for a pick-me-up.
What do you think? Do you use calm-down play-dough in your home?
Interested in Young Living Essential oils - check out my post here.