Here is my list of drawbacks to being self-employed
- you don't get paid for the extra 15 minutes it takes you to close up but your employee does
- when someone calls in sick, it's you that has to replace them or you have to close
- when you want to take a vacation you have to find someone reliable, responsible and trustworthy to fill in for you and you have to do twice as much work preparing for being away
- when someone doesn't pay their bill, you still have to pay your overhead. No one is cutting you any breaks because of a deadbeat debtor
- you have to worrk about payroll and tax remittances and ensure that they are paid in time or you'll get nasty letters from the governmeny
- when you're sick, you still have to go in because chances are no is available to replace you
- the chances are pretty high that whenever a family event like a BBQ or dinner is planned, you will get a call saying your employee is sick or injured and can't work, thus leaving you to cut your dinner short
- you have to work every statutory holiday because you already have to pay them a day's pay whether they work or not, you don't want to have to pay them another day's pay at a time and a half, cause you just can't afford it.
- people think you are a bank or that because you are self-employed and own your own business you must rolling in it.
I am a little grumpy today because K and I basically had to work the entire weekend because of staffing problems at both of our stores. At least we save money on wages but it's a drag when the weather was so nice and I didn't get to play with the kids outside yesterday. It seems to always do this every summer. One of K's employees just got told she can't work anymore (she's expecting in August) so we're going to be short handed. It wouldn't be a problem if our house was sold and I wasn't working and we lived by his store.
Moan, groan, snivel, whine and complain. I know. I'm being a whiner. I'm just tired cause first J was up sick in the night and then O was up and then they all got up at 6:00 a.m. I think I need a nap.
I hope your day goes better than mine!